Help with Geranium maderense seeds

The plant forum
AndyC

Help with Geranium maderense seeds

Post by AndyC »

I have been collecting seed from my Geranium maderense 'Guernsey White' and had a look online to see how they should be sown. Here is a selection of the results I have found -
Plants of Distinction: “Germination is often rapid, from as little as 4 days at 21-23oC, when sown onto an open seed-sowing compost and covered lightly with vermiculite, but can take up to 28 days.”
Plant-World-Seeds: “Cover with compost or grit 2mm deep in a cool spot if possible, or a cool bright position outside. Please note: Do NOT use any heat, this seed is a very slow, cold/cool germinator, and after sowing will usually not germinate if kept above 14 degrees C”
Jelitto.com: “Rapidly germinating, keep seed in constant moisture (not wet) with temperatures of about +20°C [68°F]. Seeds must be covered thinly. Do not cover very small seeds, but tightly press into the earth. “
Growing with Plants forum: “Don't make the mistake I did, and plant your seeds in the greenhouse where it is cool, it took me 2 years to find out that the seeds germinate at temperatures above 80 deg. F.”

You can understand my confusion. Can anyone shed some light on the subject please.

If anyone would like some seed let me know.

Thanks
Chad

Re: Help with Geranium maderense seeds

Post by Chad »

If you have enough to play with then try everything and then tell us which worked!

I haven't grown this since I've been in Cornwall, in London the type species was a show stopper. I had it in a pot and the head peaked round a corner. My neighbor asked what was in the hanging basket!

Incidentally;

Chad
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Chad wrote:If you have enough to play with then try everything and then tell us which worked!
I will do that.
charlie

Post by charlie »

I would have thought it would be similar to palmatum which as I recall I used to sow in pots in Feb in the unheated greenhouse, would normally germinate well but some years not at all, gave up when I found A) they didn't sell, and B) it was a lot easier to just dig out unwanted self sown seedlings! Maderense wont get to its second year and flower here so gave up with that
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic