Synardisia venosa is blooming

The plant forum
David F

Synardisia venosa is blooming

Post by David F »

This tree comes from the cloud forests of southern Mexico, and is a member of the Primrose family(!!). I bid on this at the silent auction of the annual spring gala sale at the San Francisco Botanical Garden about 8 or 9 years ago now. It was a small one gallon sized plant, and I was mesmerized by the flowers(a cut inflorescence was placed with the plant). Apparently no one else was as interested as I was, as I only had to raise my bid once to take it home, I think I paid $40 or so.

I had it parked in my side garden in dense shade for at least 6 years, and it plodded along but never bloomed. Finally last spring I got it planted in my rear garden after I lost 8 old Pittosporum tenuifolium trees, (and removed the remaining 8 trees that formed a 40’ tall privacy screen), in a very unusual March windstorm. So this shade preferring understory tree went from full deep shade to full sun, yet didn’t seem to mind except for the sun-bleached older foliage. I noticed flower buds back in late February, and the blossoms finally opened this past week. I think they were worth the wait on this rarely seen tree.

One of my clients tells me these flowers remind her of Flamenco dancers, can you see it?

This photo shows the two apartment buildings formerly well-screened by the old Pittosporum hedge. The buildings funneled the wind directly at my hedge of trees, probably reaching gusts of 50-60 mph, both rare in force and also direction, coming from the south. All that sustained wind over one night in combination with rain saturated soils after an extraordinary amount of rain in February and March of 2023 was more than the trees could bare. The wind was like a fire hose aimed directly at my windrow hedge.
Chad

Re: Synardisia venosa is blooming

Post by Chad »

How very exciting.

After we last wrote about this on GOTE I've germinated it again, and have one growing slowly. Mine is some years too small to flower yet, but will get a bright place in the polytunnel [hoophouse] once the tunnel has been recovered.

Light shade nearer the equator often means 'grow in full sun' here at 50 degrees North.

This plant has bounced around a bit for naming and classification.

I think it has settled as Ardisia venosa and its classification into Primulaceae happened in 2009 when its whole family of Myrsinaceae got 'sunk' into Primulaceae by APG III [Angiosperm Phylogeny Group].

Chad
David F

Re: Synardisia venosa is blooming

Post by David F »

I hadn’t realized the classification at Family level had also been revised! Personally, the relationship to Myrsinaceae seems more logical based on foliage characteristics, but I’m not a botanist. A friend in San Francisco grows his in bright shade and it is also blooming now. I suspect my tree in full sun could burn foliage in a strong heat wave event. I’m really thrilled to have it blooming for the first time, and interesting to see long bare areas on the trunk are showing signs of new shoots as well. The woody branches are rather rubbery/flexible as a young tree, making it of rather awkward “looping” form.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic