Conservatory repairs (or busy not gardening!)

The plant forum
charlie

Conservatory repairs (or busy not gardening!)

Post by charlie »

Some years ago I had to repair the south end of our Victorian conservatory, built in 1843 most of the wood had gone, at the time the north end was still just about usable so got left till later, even when the old cast iron gutter came down straight through the glass one Christmas I was able to patch it and carry on

Image003 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Actually could have been a lot worse it came through the glass like a javelin

Image001 by charliepridham, on Flickr

That all happened in 2013, but by the start of 2019 it was clear that I wasn't going to be able to ignore it any longer as plants had taken root in the wood!

Image001 (2) by charliepridham, on Flickr

First job clear away the plants

Image003 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Next job roughly mark out the area we are going to incorporate into the conservatory in order to get a better sitting area

Image007 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Image008 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Once I had cleared the plants from one end of the conservatory I could start to build the new base, but the weather has made life very tricky and its taken longer than I hoped, I have also discovered that a large part of what I thought was still ok is going to have to go, doubling the work (and cost!)

Image009 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Next job is pouring the new floor concrete as well as taking down more of the existing glass so it will be a while before the next update :)
flounder

Re: Conservatory repairs (or busy not gardening!)

Post by flounder »

Any more progress Charlie, or have you been dragging you heels with the inclement weather? ;)
charlie

Post by charlie »

Its been painfully slow going, got the new concrete floor laid and rendering done, been waiting on the wood which actually arrived today so I can make a start on the joinery (who knew O level woodwork would ever be useful!) but its been so windy that I have chicken out going up above to complete a small main house roof repair which I cant get at easily once the glass goes back. I hope to do a photo update in January but there is a lot to do
charlie

Post by charlie »

Here you go Flounder - the horticultural equivalent of flat pack furniture!

Image001 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Image002 by charliepridham, on Flickr
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

It's a shame you have to do it in the winter Charlie, It's so much more pleasant to complete in the summer. When you start building work on old houses It's always worse than you ever imagined! :roll: Are you putting a glass roof on the extension or solid.

Jas.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Glass, used to be Georgian wired glass but that looks dreadful and cracks for a pastime, some replacement panels when we did the other end were changed to laminated safety glass, so I will probably go with that but am going to ask about double glazed panels and see what the cost implications look like.

I wasn't expecting the weather to be quite so bad, the wind in particular has been very strong on and off for some time now, I am not great up scaffold towers or ladders and when its windy I definitely think twice! Anyway hope to start painting up some of the replacement elements in the next day or two (didn't help the wood arrived wet - no surprise there)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Charlie, I was somewhat puzzled by your remark about Georgian glass cracking as over the years I must have literally tones of the stuff in industrial situations and never saw a peace crack! But then I looked at your pictures again and the heavy rot on the rafters!!!!!! I think the flexing of the rafters may have hade something to do with it. :lol: Have a restful and happy Christmas and New year. That includes every one else on the forum as well.

Kind Regards Jason.
kGarden

Post by kGarden »

charlie wrote:am going to ask about double glazed panels and see what the cost implications look like.
Would the (extra) weight be a problem?

Definitely a benefit otherwise IME
charlie

Post by charlie »

I dont heat out there so no real advantage, weight is only a problem in so much as I have to get the panels up there!

I have had a discussion with the glass people and ordinary DG is no good as it wont stop a falling object showering anyone inside with bits of glass, they can do one of the panes laminated of course but the weight and price go up sharply, as one half already has laminated safety glass I will probably go with that again, the condensation is not an issue, I think if it was in anyway part of the house I would go the extra mile but its more garden than house!

I am now confined to barracks for Christmas so there will be yet more delay :)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Just a thought Charlie, ever thought of twin wall polycarbonate? or do you want to see through the roof :?:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic